Hot Spot

I was on the eternal black hole called Facebook last night when I came across a status update by someone I barely know that struck a nerve. A big one. One so big that I haven't stopped thinking about it since I read it last night. I almost stayed up late to blog about it but decided I was tired, so I hopped off my soapbox for the night.
I am pretty sure some of our readers will agree with me, while others will strongly disagree and then again a few others will just be in the middle. Whichever side you're on, just know the point of this post isn't to start a riot or lose our readers, it's really just a way for me to write about something that I am realizing I am passionate about. Also be warned this will probably be all over the place...

Recently, I feel as if God is showing me that we cannot live a comfortable Christian life. What do I mean by that? We can't live life "lukewarm" - heck the Bible even tells us that he will vomit us from his mouth if we live lukewarm, "But since you are like lukewarm water - neither hot nor cold - I would rather spit you out of my mouth." Rev 3:16
We are attending a church that Brent and I both enjoy. We're making great friends. We're having a good time. But is that all that's it's about? Probably not. I remember a few years ago a pastor in Chattanooga talking to his congregation about attending their church. He challenged his members to ask if they were attending church for a country club or to be challenged as a christian? wow. That was so great and for whatever reason is what I keep hearing over and over along with a few other lessons I've heard...
I told Brent that every church we have attended since moving to Nashville has been so great as far as the fellowship part goes. People are laid back, not so legalistic - but when he responded, "I think that means lukewarm..." I stopped my train of thought and haven't gotten that out of my head since. That is exactly what's going on. I've known this for a while. At least the past year and it's actually why we stopped attending this one church for a while - because we realized that the leadership wasn't challenging its members to live a life truly for God - outside the standards of this world.
Last night on Facebook, I stumbled upon a conversation that struck a nerve. As I started to truly think about why it bothered me so, I realized it all led back to this one message that I feel God is trying to teach me: be on fire for God. Truly on fire. Not lukewarm. Not cold. On fire. Don't let your feet touch dirty things (awesome message by Jentzen Franklin years ago regarding the Dove that Noah sent out from the Ark...look it up - it's awesome). Our culture tells us otherwise. We're in a huge governor race for the state of TN. There are fantastic candidates - I'm talking stellar, that are running for governor. It's a pretty tight race and I heard tonight that it's pretty split with voters: 30% all three ways. Pretty crazy.
There are so many influential Christian leaders in our area - especially in Nashville. You all know that Brent and I are big Dave Ramsey fans, I am a fan of Christian music and Brent loves him some country music. This is a recent commercial in which Ricky Skaggs, Dave Ramsey, and Michael W. Smith are all endorsing Zach Wamp. The debate enters here: is it appropriate for influential Christians such as Dave Ramsey and Michael W. Smith to use their "power" and influence in the political realm?
This one conversation on facebook regarding this very topic has now gotten such a firestorm of response - more than 55 comments regarding this issue going back and forth, throwing out plenty of theological debate and opinions. Several "Jesus is not a Republican or a Democrat" and "it's just another example of the church prostituting itself" and "you cannot serve two masters - the world and the kingdom." All of which I thought I had something to say about.
Pretty sure I was one-sided in my opinion on this topic, but I definitely can start to see where this argument could go. I understand where it might be confusing to a nonbeliever to see a candidate say they are a Christian and they belong to X party then conclude that must be "the Christian party." I guess I get that, but honestly it's exhausting. My original argument is that as a Christian in our 21st century culture, I believe you should absolutely stand up and be able to voice your opinion.
It's offensive to me that just because we live in the Bible belt (belt buckle actually) you would say I'm only so influenced by these people's opinions because I live in the South and I am ignorant in some way? That's just ridiculous and extremely offensive. That is like me saying that if Babe Ruth were still alive and he were to say every New Yorker to smoke cigars they would do it just because they live in New York and respect Babe Ruth as a public figure of influence. What's the difference? there isn't.

See I warned you - this post is all over the place....


At any rate, I would like to challenge you as a Christian to continue to stand up and speak out for what you believe in. Politics are frustrating - especially as a Christian. Sometimes it seems as if we can't win for losing. I don't understand our current political system and all of its crooked ways. I don't understand Christians who can vote for a candidate who believes in abortion, but I do have an open mind to understand there are other issues to vote on. I don't believe the Republican party is the "christian party" as so many assume, but I do believe it aligns more closely with my own personal beliefs and wishes for our country. Just because I am a Republican does not mean I don't want to help the poor or homeless or orphans. I have a heart for them, but I also have a heart for the amazing free enterprise system in this fabulous country we live in. I have a heart for hard working Americans. Small business owners. People who have made money and deserve to get to keep it because - THEY WORKED for it. As Christians we are called to give and serve, but we are not called to be poor and a slave to debt.

It is true - many times there are topics that hit hot spots, most of the time Christianity and politics are my hot spots. I hope I haven't offended any of you in this post, but rather challenge you to think about what you believe and why you believe it. Who cares which candidate you'll vote for.

1 comments:

Jimmy said...

WOW! Amazing post Becca - not only did I enjoy it - I agreed with everything you said!

You guys rock!