Day 4: Bomb Making, but Not Like You Think

Tuesday - March 8
Another day of construction/dirt moving. To say my body is tired and sore is an understatement. Most definitely very difficult. Today the sun shone its beauty most all day making us all aware that we had been blessed with an incredibly overcast day on Monday. One guy on our team, Daniel, counted 72 trips to haul dirt. WOW


I was up to 33 until lunch then I hopped in the trenches to help shovel and lost count. We also hauled more rebar today - have I mentioned how heavy that stuff is?! wow. Between Monday and Tuesday we carried 174 pieces of rebar. Insanely heavy. In fact, it took all 4 of us girls to carry 3 pieces down the hill. Today I was the only female available to help and let me tell you - I want to brag about that. Not to say the other girls weren't also working hard, but geez. Ridiculous. What's more insane is that the delivery guy AND Nathan were able to carry their own loads - all by themselves. Our guys were partnering up to get the pieces down the hill.



Last night during team time we played "What's your favorite Spanish word" using our lips to point to each other after we said our word. Have I mentioned how terrible I am at speaking Spanish? I laugh about it, but it's actually quite frustrating. I am very very thankful for Nicole and Mitchell who each speak rather fluently. Today Rebecca and Alana were in charge of making cement bombs. She kept asking Remigio for more concrete in Spanish saying "Mas Muerto" which actually translates to "more death." VERY FUNNY!



By the way, check out this video on Rebecca and Alana making cement bombs.



While I was a tad jealous that they got to sit and make these, I quickly realized they were in a tough spot: directly in the hottest part of the land, feeling as though they weren't being used as much as the rest of us. Check out Alana's recount of her day.

A little self portrait in the van this morning:

0 comments: