So Long, Farewell. I'll see you .....

ok seriously - I never intended for this whole Guatemala blogging dealio to take me so long to wrap up. Today is the last entry from my journal. I love that I've forever mortalized my trip via this blog and love even more all the emails and conversations from so many of you that have shared how much you have enjoyed reading about my experience. Thank you for your support- I hope if nothing else that by re-telling my experience, it makes you think about what you can do or where God will one day send you in your journey.




Day - 8: Friday/Saturday our last full days in Guatemala.
Last full day - while we spent the day as a "fun" day, it was bittersweet for me. I'm trying to figure out what my role is from this point forward. Last night it hit me what I'm to do! I've felt very heavy-hearted about getting resources to Nathan. I asked him several days ago what their greatest need is currently and he said a backhoe. The issue of course is finances. A brand new one will cost upwards of $150,000. In the U.S., he could potentially purchase one at a government auction for about $50,000 then have it shipped to Guatemala.
Something else I found out was that Nathan and Claudia don't have health insurance. I had this lightbulb go off like "oh yeah, DUH. They don't really have an employer to provide benefits - duh. So they want to have more children, but really cannot afford it without insurance. People support their ministry, Engadi, and send financial support for that, but not necessarily personal support for the Hardemans. I can tell other people in our group are feeling the same way - just about what do we do now or what's next. In talking with Matt tonight I can tell he's feeling the same way and has some great ideas on how our team will hopefully get together when we return and pull resources together to help however we can.
I also know my passion for networking has to come in play in regards to that back hoe. I am one of those people that hears a need and immediately starts thinking of someone I know that might know the resource.
On Friday, Nathan took us to the newest property that will be Engadi Ranch. WE are the first team to step foot on that property. As we walked the perimeters, then eventually to the center of the land, Nathan again turned into an artist beautifully painting the imagery of what will be the Engadi Ranch one day: Blue Roman Horses galloping on the flattest part of the land, multiple homes with boys and house parents like the Refuge, and the admin/team buildings. I am such a visual person, so maybe that's why this has been such an effective way for me to see all that God will do here. I definitely "got" it.




The land was given to Engadi by a man who lived as a troubled boy with a bad home life - much like the majority of males in Guatemala - specifically those Nathan hopes to reach.
To think he just broke that cycle by providing this land for so many boys to come. Now that shows the power & glory of the God that we serve!

As we ate our final dinner last night at the Hotel Antigua, Nathan continued to share his heart and vision including wanting to possibly start a school close to the Ranch because of its rural location and lack of access to good quality education for the boys who will come to the Ranch. Thinking about all that entails is a bit overwhelming so I pray that God provides all the resources so that is not an issue for him.

Picture from driving to the lake on Friday - a typical scenery from the van during one of our many drives throughout the area.


I don't know when I'll be back, but I feel as though I'm not done here. I know I forever have a responsibility to this place and specifically to Engadi ministries. It's not as thought I have some strong desire to help these boys, it's more like here is a family who has dedicated their lives to this ministry - they need help and resources, why not me?
I know i am forever connected. I feel as though Brent will serve here as well as Gabbie one day. (I already told Nathan I'd send her eventually - when she was in college. He said "why not sooner?" and I said " heck no" ha!)

One of the many beautiful buildings around Antigua.


As we head home today, I know this is bittersweet. I am changed: I feel as though my purpose for this trip was to learn about and have a vested interest in Guatemala. Go back home and help in the ways I can: prayer, word of mouth (tell everyone I can about Engadi) and of course networking to get them the right resources. Because with God ALL things are possible.
Guatever.

This is a VERY common sight when driving around the area - most women always have multiple children and are usually carrying something REALLY large on their head.



On Friday, we spent the day at "The Lake."
Isn't it beautiful? Yeah, gorgeous except you don't actually get in the water, you just look at it. Oh well, I still got a new bathing suit pre-trip because I thought we were spending a day at "the lake." We were - we did, just not how I thought. It was more like zip lines, shopping and eating.



Here I am "practicing" before the big ride. The only problem is that I didn't really practice well enough, I guess. I failed MISERABLY on our first few runs - causing quite some pain the next few days. You had to use a gloved hand to actually stop yourself as your body went FLYING across these HUGE raveens overlooking the lake. It was beautiful, but when you aren't sure if you will be able to stop at the end of the "ride," it's not really that enjoyable. Thankfully I made it and tried my hardest to enjoy the ride vs count down the routes before we were done. Such a different mindset for me who is usually the adventure-seeker (ie: sky diving, bungee jumping - I've done them both!)


After our ziplining, we had another opportunity to have "fun." This was a walk-way/bridge thingy where the steps were loose and you had to use pretty much every muscle and bone in your body to make your way across. You can see how graceful and attractive I was in getting across. In case you can't tell, that's me in the back on the right.

After our ziplining adventure, we headed into Chimaltenago to eat amazing pizza at Circus Pizza, then did some shopping. (LOVED both of these events). Afterwards, we made the 3 hour drive back to Common Hope.

Maybe just because we were hungry, but this pizza ROCKED:






Daniel and Rebecca shopping in Chimal:


This is Jeimy - she helped make dinner every night, but also made these beautiful purses that Nicole and I bought. love it and love that I brought home a little memory:


So farewell for now, Guatemala and Engadi ministries. Even today, three weeks later, I am still reminded of all that will be done through this ministry. I love that I can follow the progress on Facebook. In fact, Nathan just posted a picture of the first wall that's gone up this week on the guard shack. Such a timely accomplishment as the rainy season is about to come pouring in and all the work for the road and digging could have potentially been washed away (literally). We're already on countdown for Spring Break 2012 in which one Whitaker family member will hopefully be in attendance as the RHCC College Ministry hits ground running to help any way we can in Guatemala with Engadi Ministries.

1 comments:

mom said...

AMAZING!!!!
nuff said.