Crazy Love

I finished reading one of two books last night that I've been working on for a few weeks. It was Crazy Love by Frances Chan. I am notorious for not necessarily being on the "cutting edge" of stuff when the hype is high, but I tend to let everyone else try it out then I buy it or try it out after it's not as popular. Enter Crazy Love. It was definitely one of those books a lot of people have been talking about. I actually bought it before we went to Orlando a few weeks ago, then quickly realized it's not really a vacation read. It's more of a "read for your morning quiet time" kind of book.
I am not really sure how to describe it other than it's one of those books you read that makes you think about your personal relationship and walk with the Lord. What am I doing to further His kingdom? What am I doing to be radical for Jesus?
The last chapter of the book provides several short stories of Christians who are either still living or have gone to be with Jesus - they lived/live radical lives. Like Rich Mullins. I didn't know his "story" - he was a great song writer (he wrote "Awesome God") and many main-stream Christian artists have covered his songs. He would perform concerts and made NUMEROUS albums, but never knew how much money he made off of them because all the money went straight to his church who paid Rich a small salary then give the rest of it away. Rich lived with a Navajo tribe spreading the Gospel and showing them God's love. One night on his way to a concert with a friend, their Jeep flipped and Rich was thrown from the car. A semi tried to avoid the Jeep and inadvertently ran over Rich killing him instantly.
There's a Third Day song where they mention "the late, great Rich Mullins" but I never knew that he did so much for the Kingdom.

So this book has challenged me. In all that I do. All I say is to further the kingdom. Perspective. That's probably the one word that I would use to sum up the book.
He talks about this one family who on Christmas morning wakes up, makes pancakes and coffee, loads it up in a wagon and the entire family hits the streets early in the morning to pass out a warm, filling breakfast to all those homeless and on the streets. Think about how much more that represents what Christmas is really all about. The day we celebrate the birth of our Savior, the love and hope that He has for everyone. wow. I loved that and it definitely challenged me to pass that same love and passion on to Gabbie.
So I would definitely recommend Crazy Love. It will likely leave you in the same state as it did me: contemplative.

0 comments: